New drivers must go through the GDL program to get the support, skills, and experience they
earn a full
Class 5 licence.
If you have held a Class 7 learner’s licence for at least 1 year, are 16 years of age and older and have passed a Class 5 basic road test, you may join the GDL program.
1. Be 18 years of age and older
2. Pass an advanced road test
3. Hold a probationary driver’s licence – Class 5-GDL – for at least 2 years
4. Have no suspensions in your last year before applying for a full driver’s licence (a suspension will increase the time you must remain in the GDL program)
5. Pass a Class 5 or Class 6 Advanced Road Test.
1. Each passenger must wear a seatbelt
2. A GDL licence will be suspended at 8 demerit points
3. Blood alcohol level of the driver must be 0 percent
4. Class 1, 2, 3, or 4 licence upgrades are not allowed
5. GDL driver cannot be the accompanying driver to a learner